Friday 24 February 2012

In Praise of Tiger Balm

And here I was thinking you would only catch cold in cold countries... But for the last few days it has been creeping up on me, the blocked nose, the cough, the exhaustion. I had thought of travelling up to Penang today, but not having had much sleep, and feeling like my brain is packed in cotton wool, I decided to postpone it. Instead I went out and got some tiger balm. It's such a wonderful thing, tiger balm. It's pretty much the same as vick vaporub, which I grew up with. You smear it on your chest and throat, and the menthol evaporates, covering you in a cloud of vapour. And it gets really... well, what is it, hot or cold? Intense in any case. It feels like it's seeping right through your tissue into your throat. Strange, as such this kind of feeling should be disturbing, right? Something eating through your skin... but this is the opposite. It feels soothing. Maybe that's just conditioning, whenever I had a cold as a child my mum would bring out the vaporub jar, and I trusted her. Maybe the mere memory is soothing already.
Be that as is may, I'll just sit here, with my tiger balm and box of tissues, nip out to get some food and lots of fruit juice a bit later, and else just try and sleep it off... enveloped in menthol vapours. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment