Monday 27 February 2012

The Curse of the Taxi



Well, this is a country where you need a car to get to most destinations. There is public transport, and around KL actually more than might be expected, but for many locations the only way to get there is by car. And if you don't have a car, taxi. It's just, well, I really don't like taxis! Never have. And I suspect, never will. I don't really know why, but this whole situation of getting a taxi and having the person drive you somewhere just doesn't sit right with me. Which is strange, cause I love riding cars with friends. 
If it was just here the explanation might be that most taxi drivers here are evil. I mean, not in the devil is gonna come and get you kind of evil, more in the usual I'm gonna pick your pocket but you will watch it all kind of way. Supposedly they are meant to use meters here. Well, a few do, most don't. And the price, especially when you are so obviously a foreigner, are at about 2-3 times the usual fare, if you are lucky. Well, compared to London that is still insanely cheap, so more often than not I just accept it. Grudgingly though... But if I have the chance to avoid taxis, I will go for it, even if it means waiting for a bus for an hour. I wonder why that is? I suppose I don't want to go through this confrontation of haggling over the price. Or location even, I've had taxi drivers here refuse to go where I wanted because it was out of their way. 
They are an interesting lot, these drivers. Around my LRT station for example they usually stand around chatting to each other, and are apparently not interested in finding a fare, which is after all what they live on. The whole body language, raised shoulders, set jaws, tells you that they are busy, and that you better not disturb them. But even if you approach them sitting in their cars waiting, you still get that kind of feeling from them, all delivered with a certain kind of arrogance. After all, they are the ones in power, standing between you and your destination. And you are the one standing between them and your money. 
But I grant you, not all are like that. Initially yes, but some turn friendly after you have agreed on the terms of the ride. Some chat with you about this and that, others see an opportunity for some private jobs and give you their card. And some take you for a ride, stopping for gas, taking the longer route, especially if you did get them to use the meter. Ah well.
So, that's for taxi drivers here. But I also don't like taxis back in Europe, even in places where they always use the meter. One part is that they are expensive, the bus costs just a tiny fraction of a taxi ride. But really, for me the situation of having this strange person chauffeur you around is just weird. Although, how is that different on a bus? 
When it comes down to it, I really can't figure out what it is about taxi drivers that I don't like. It is something about the whole situation that makes me feel uncomfortable. Over here it's easier to pin it on the driver so obviously taking advantage of you, being a stranger to the place and therefore depending on their demands, and their knowledge of the area, be it the long way or the direct way to your destination. Maybe I just mistrust any taxi driver, anywhere in the world. After all, to me they are on the same shelf as lawyers and sales assistants, telling you what you want to hear, taking your money for it (and then some), but essentially doing what they want. If they can get away with it. Evil lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment