Wednesday 22 February 2012

Another Day in Petaling Jaya




So, this is blogging. I've never actually done anything that had the name "blog" attached to it. Mmh, but it doesn't seem to be too different from facebook and other versions of social media like that. A way to communicate with the world out there. And write down your thoughts... whether people read them or not. Without jumping right into a philosophical discussion, I just wonder, who else notices that this is a fairly weird development of society, where many people prefer to communicate via technology, but in the process almost seem to lose the skill of talking to a real-life person? But I shouldn't complain. Most of my communications these days are via electronic media. The world has become much smaller since then, don't you think? 

As for me, I am sitting in the office where I live at the moment. My friend lets me stay here, as it's fairly accessible with public transport. This is all an experiment. With an outcome I had not really foreseen. See, last summer I was in London, with a job, granted, a job I had started to hate more and more, but which had many interesting aspects too. But the hate for the job had spread to all aspects of my life in London. So I quit. And went to Japan first, for 2 months, and then to Kuala Lumpur. The idea was to start a branch in my friends business dealing with quality assurance. But a few misunderstandings later I realised I was not prepared to fight the fight by myself, as it had turned out that I was on my own for the most part. Be that as it may, the surprising bit was that I actually miss London. I mean, I knew I liked it, but I thought I needed a couple of years apart from the big dirty old town. And there I was, half a year later, thinking if returning wasn't such a bad idea. 

 Now, the idea of setting up the business here is on the backburner. I might fire it up once more at some point, but to deal with it all by myself is not in the cards just yet. So I was gonna spend the 2 months here with some travelling. And writing. And figuring out what I want to do. As for the latter, the Malaysian experiment has come to an end for now, and in April I have a ticket out to Osaka again, back to my old home. 

Now, the question is, do I go for a visit for a month or so, and then get back to London in summer? Before or after the Olympics? I mean, the Olympics in London will be a wonderful study in chaos. And I'm not talking about the games. Have you ever had to rely on London Transport? Even with the normal millions of people living there the system can barely cope. You learn quickly that there is such a thing as London Transport time. When the display promises a bus in 2 minutes that means sometime in the nearer future you may be lucky and a bus might stop. Or it might not. 5 minutes can mean anything up to half an hour. 15 minutes, and you might just as well start walking... And just because the front of the bus or tube says it goes to a certain destination doesn't mean it actually reaches it. They might just leave you stranded at some spot along the way, for you to try your luck getting into the next one, which of course is already full with people. A trained Londoner will be an expert in alternative options. You hear the announcement, and everyone's heads will drop, a few seconds of calculations and re-routing to one's destination, and off they go. Now, imagine this is how it works in normal daily life. And now add a few more million Olympics visitors to the equation... I so want to see the spectacle!

Or do I? I also feel like I need another stint in Japan. I used to live there for about 2 years, and that was not enough. I really want to go back for a while, get the fascination with the place out of my system, and get this damned language down! No chance of this happening anywhere else. If you don't use Japanese everyday, you forget. Someone called it a zero-language once, meaning you fall back to zero when you leave it for too long. I'm not quite at zero, but my level 2 is a thing of the past. Plus, I miss my friends there. But, being in Japan for longer you need a job, and that means teaching, as other jobs are difficult to come by. Been there, done that, and I know that I will not be able to stand that for longer than another year at most. Will a year be enough to get the Asia out of my system? See, I've been wanting to live in Asia for most of my conscious memory, not forever and ever, but for a while. It didn't come with specifics as to how long a while would be. But I have gotten the rest of Asia out of the system it appears, at least when it comes to creating a life for myself here in Malaysia. I really love it, but I think to come here on holidays will be sufficient. But Japan... I'm not done with that. So, will I go to stay for a while, or will I go back to London? Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment