Tuesday 2 September 2014

The Joys of the Morning on the Northern Line



Having moved house in London for the umpteenth time and now living for the first time south of the river, I am still struggling to acclimatise.
First of all, yes, there are very nice areas in South London, but having mostly lived up north, with a few hills and more importantly, where the areas used to be little villages that were swallowed by the mass that makes up London but still managed to retain their villagey feel somehow, coming to South London now feels like entering one massive housing estate that stretches on and on for ever and ever.
That, and that my particular area is just filled with young professionals, who destroy any area they move into by taking over decent pubs and turning them into places where it is impossible to have a conversation over the blaring music, and where real ale is a thing of the past, as alcopops are suddenly the fashionable drink or something like that. The small shops where you could get everything you would ever need are being replaced by yet another Byron, or yet another Jamie Oliver-gone-whatever-the-cuisine-of-the-moment-is, something that can be nice on occasion, but not when that means sacrificing my usual daily life network of shops and amenities.
Nonetheless, I am willing to overlook these downsides by taking slightly longer journeys for shopping or food to Brixton or Tooting Broadway, both on the brink of yuppie-hood but at least in some areas they have still been able to maintain their character. What really makes me suffer now, living where I do, is the fact that I have to commute into the City with the Northern Line…
The Northern Line… or rather The Horror Line as I call it, is busy. Very busy. Crazy busy. Yes, the trains arrive every 2 minutes, but even so, on a good day it takes me 5 trains before I can find a tiny bit of foothold to be able to stand in the carriage door and somehow push the mass of human bodies in enough to make it within the closing door limits. On a bad day I have to let many more trains pass before I can find such a chance.
And then I am inside. Squashed against the door on my back and against the person in front of me, who I am spooning in a fantastically uncomfortable manner with my bag propped in somehow to make the entire experience at least nominally a little less indecent, one arm reaching in an attempt to hold onto a rail, cramped muscle in such arm while trying to keep myself from leaning even more into the surrounding bodies on turns and breaks of the tube, and the head in an awkward angle under the inwards-curving door and carriage roof in an attempt to find a position that is least uncomfortable and allows me to get at least a little bit of air. Which is futile, as air is non-existent in such tube, any oxygen that once was has long been used up by the mass of bodies and replaced with a hot, sweaty and stifling gas that miraculously does NOT suffocate everyone present. I don’t know how it is that people don’t faint en masse under these conditions, but then again, even if they did, there would not be a chance in hell for them ever reaching the floor, the bodies squashed against each other will hold everyone in place. So who knows, maybe half of the people in the carriage are already unconscious, but I will never know…
Yes, such fun is to be had every morning. I have taken to getting off a station early and walking the last bit to work, for one because it means I can cross London Bridge with the views and, with enough time, a coffee in my hand. A walk of a few minutes, fresh air, I repeat, fresh air, and the chance to shake off the worst of the physical stress my body has had to endure in the airless, squashed and unnaturally bent position on the train. But also, at London Bridge a number of people get off, so following them to the other side of the carriage, as of course I get on through one set of doors but have to exit on the other side, is easy enough. And, if I stayed on, a new bulk of human bodies squeezes in to ensure not even one stop can be travelled in even remotely comfortable conditions. And on a good day when I get ready early enough, I treat myself and take the bus.


No comments:

Post a Comment