Tuesday 12 February 2013

Fighting Blandness

Here I thought Shepherds Pie must be one of the blandest things the English cuisine has to offer... Well, it is, but that doesn't mean I gotta stick to the recipe my ex used to follow - and love, but we'll leave further inferences be for the moment - right? So, dear English, I know you see condiments and herbs other than pepper and salt as suspicious and possibly dangerous, but let me implore you: Your food needs more chili! Just spice it up a little, darlings! 
Another thing the kitchen here traditionally cannot live without is meat. I do eat meat on occasion, but really I prefer veggies. And there are plenty options in the country, don't get me wrong, and even traditional British food can be made with meat substitutes - and not just beans beans bean as some people seem to believe. Our frigde was brimming with veggies that begged to be used, so I threw them all together with some onions, a can of chopped tomatoes, and then put them in the oven under a - yes, shudder to think but it worked - instant mash cover. No meat, plenty of spice and herbs and a good dose of chili! And it turned out really nice, I must say. 
So, is that all the kitchen here in this country needs to appeal? Spice? I will try and see... what shall I tackle next? Probably another kind of pie - never liked them much as they all just tasted greasy salty potato-y, in short: bland. Spices and me, here we come!   

No comments:

Post a Comment