Friday 9 March 2012

One Twin Found




There is a temple in Kyoto, Sanjusangendo, where 1000 Buddha statues stand in the main hall to greet the visitors. It is said that anyone's face is represented in one of the statues, if only you look hard enough. I have always failed to find myself, since I find it difficult to look past the Asiatic faces with slanted eyes and low-bridged noses. But maybe you can't find yourself anyway, as your own image of your face is different to how other people see you. 
I did find this concept extremely interesting though when I stumbled across this Burmese temple in Penang the other day, which was filled with statues too, just that not all of them were Buddhas. Apart from the breathtaking woodwork and detailed patterns in the ceilings, there was a huge standing Buddha, and a little pagoda with a number of figurines, one for each Chinese zodiac sign, which amazed me in their beauty. 
The main event for me, however, was when I entered the main hall. As seems to be typical in Thai or Burmese temples, the main Buddha statue had circles of coloured blinking lights behind its head, indicating a halo that involuntarily reminds me of, rather annoying, Christmas decorations in German windows. Despite this distraction the face of the Buddha sprang to my attention. It had definitive female characteristics, fine-lined features, eye make-up, long lady-like fingers, and the coating on the face had been polished to a glowing bronze tone. It was beautiful. And it looked exactly like my roommate back in Osaka. 
Usually I gather that sniggering in a holy house is a little out of place, as most people would come to pray to their God, or reflect on a particular topic. But I couldn't help myself. Before me, in the... wood, was Tomo, and no mistaking it. Had she been modelling for the statue? Doubtful, since she had never been to Malaysia. Maybe the sculptor had somehow gotten hold of a photograph? That would be the logic, if far-fetched explanation.
Maybe this was just one of those coincidences, after all we are all said to have a twin somewhere on earth. Or was it the universe? I'm not entirely sure I want to meet mine, who knows, it might be a disappointment, plus I prefer the idea of being a unique being after all. But I am sure glad I've found Tomo's twin, even if inanimate. Just think, thousands of people pray to a statue of her every day, they bring her flowers and candles and other gifts, and she in return gives them hope and puts their minds at ease. What better twin could you wish for?
I can't wait to see her reaction when she hears this...       

No comments:

Post a Comment